Saturday, February 13, 2010

Moo Carve!

I received yet another carving material sample in the mail!

This sample comes from the first people I spoke with about potentially creating a product like we all desire to carve our stamps from. Ironically, I called them asking for firmer materials than "Pink Stuff" and they had just recently formulated a material on request that was soft and super easy to carve. The people felt softer is the best way to go for the best carving bock.

Believe it or not... the stuff is called Moo Carve! ;)
This material has it's bad points but it has a good one too that I have not found yet in other stiffer materials.

After only a moment of carving I knew the material was way too soft for many carvers. The closest thing to Moo Carve is Mastercarve. Instead of the white color of Mastercarve this material is a light grey. It is extremely smooth and so easy to carve it is almost unreal.

While this material has some characteristics that I think some people might love (like the ability to leave the best, brightest, unsplotchy impressions I have ever seen) I think for the most part it is too fragile and soft for the masses...especially "detail" carvers.

However...I am in love with the beauty of the impressions that EASILY come from stamps carved in this material. They are nearly flawless. The rubber is soft enough to hold ink without it ever beading or splotching. Just a fraction of the amount of dabbing of my ink pads as it takes to ink PZ Kut gives Moo Carve all it needs for pristine impressions.

So... it just breaks my heart that this material is so soft it easily breaks or tears :(
If you were using it for stamps that were not ever going to be handled roughly and requires a lot of positive space (solid inked areas), and you can carve with a light touch... then I would recommend it 100%. Otherwise...No! Or at least not for Letterboxes in the wild etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment